Sunday, April 25, 2010

misc.

Have you heard of Vera Bradley?  Its a big deal company from where I come from and my sisters will be working the outlet sale this week.  I am thinking of getting a hipster bag (see link) but then I thought, why don't I just make a bag? 

well, for one thing, I have never made a bag before...and another, I am juggling about 5 projects right now and that is not normal for me!  But I wonder if any of you can recommend a tutorial or pattern for a bag similar to the one found in the Vera Bradley link above?

Thanks!!

6 comments:

  1. I have Simplicity 2551, there are 3 patterns, one of which is similar in shape to the hipster bag, though the handles are different, and there isn't a flap on the front pocket. Butterick 5197 has handles that are more like the Vera Bradley bag but the seams are angled around the pockets rather than straight up and down (and again, no flap on the pocket). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an enabler. - go buy the VB one. It's gorgeous. You won't have to fuss with putting zippers and buckles and linings and niceties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried tipnut? The site has an endless array of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could always buy yourself one and then work out a pattern from it, that way you'll have a bag to tide you over until you find the perfect fabric to make the next one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I love making bags, but when it comes down to it, it's so hard to make anything like Vera Bradley at home. The shear amount of quilting takes forever! I saw make yourself a nice simple beach bag and buy the VB one for every day! If I hadn't just bought a house I would so be buying a bag in that new brown and green pattern. SIGH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jenny! Thanks for the awesome munki roller skates nightie...you are a sweetheart : )
    Good luck with the bag...I haven't made one ever. Probably like you I always think "I can make this, why pay for it?" And I really could, but too many other irons in the fire all the time.

    ReplyDelete