Monday, February 7, 2011

Hugo's color wheel quilt

Today I want to revisit Hugo's color wheel quilt as part of Love Nest Quilt Contest going on at Gen X Quilters.

Gen X Quilters

I found this quilt pattern in Joelle Hoverson's wonderful book, Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts.  I fell in love with this quilt and the challenge it presented to me.  Trying to take my stash and make a color wheel from it.  I toyed with the fabrics on my design wall for weeks.
adding and subtracting fabrics.  I swapped fabric for a few of the Flea Market Fancy prints...and my friend Robin donated a few key prints and the wonderful IKEA print used as the backing.

Finally finishing it this past spring...about the same time Hugo moved into his big boy twin bed.  So in my mind this quilt was always for his bed.  The book's pattern is for a 56 inch square quilt..but I added an extra 10 inches to the top and bottom to make it work on a twin size bed. 

The back...I love this IKEA fabric...I wish I had more.  I used every inch of this fabric for the back.
And the binding...which looks yummy here and was fun to make.

I love looking at this quilt...and often think i will make another.  Here is my sweet boy snuggled under his quilt:

20 comments:

  1. Very pretty. Such impact - and the binding and backing are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS quilt, Jenny! You are so talented...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you mark your quilting lines? I'm thinking doing that style on a quilt.

    Still one of my favorites Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the revisit :). It's so good to see it on his bed (and on him) - I really didn't know the scale of it before. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! So fresh and colorful!

    Thanks for entering your quilt in the Love Nest Quilt Contest and best of luck!

    AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is amazing, so much work in the preparation and then piecing, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fantastic! I love that quilting - looks like it would have been a lot of work though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely fabulous! This quilt has been on my to-do-list since I first saw it...sigh...someday ;D I like how you quilted it way better than the way it was done in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that quilt Jenny! You did such a fantastic job. I love the backing too. I tried to find it a few years ago, to no avail. SO sad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the quilt is stunning, the color wheel is brillant with the white background. it is fabulous!
    blrohloff

    ReplyDelete
  12. stunning... you are a true artist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this quilt and am glad your revisiting it! Isn't that backing just perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your colorwheel! I just finished one myself! http://silverlilysews.blogspot.com/2011/01/shes-done.html
    -Tyra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this quilt..You are so talented...One day I want to make a color wheel quilt...what did you use as a pattern for each piece of the wheel...

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you are a finalist as I voted for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. congratulations for making top 6. Good luck tomorrow.
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI Jenny
    I got the book today. I am not really good at all of this but I want to make that color wheel quilt. The directions did not include how to attach the ring to the background. How did you do that?
    b

    ReplyDelete